JC Red Sea Reefer 350

The reefer

let me put it this way :) that light is too much light over any tank less than or equal to 24inches wide :) ( or i would have gotten rid of my radion and went for one of these already ;) )

i think he can lower it down but def not need 2 of them :)

So by kessil making this light, they made it so anybody with a tank smaller than 24" can't buy it? I'm sure they should work fine at a lower height if there were 2. Just like the radion ull just need to lower the intensity. I see this working great for a 40breeder actually.

tinman

So by kessil making this light, they made it so anybody with a tank smaller than 24" can't buy it? I'm sure they should work fine at a lower height if there were 2. Just like the radion ull just need to lower the intensity. I see this working great for a 40breeder actually.
then it would look extremely dull and dark :) kessils already look duller to the normal eye than many other lights ..

SkullV

Jaime I tried to quote your post, but it won't let me. In my opinion you are 100% correct. The nature of the new lens should combat the issue that is being discussed.

Ninja, tank looks great.

The reefer

Sorry ninja to go off track on ur build thread. Ur tank looks amazing. Hope one day I can see it in person .

ninjamyst

Premium member
The reason I asked is cuz in the picture it looks like You have a lot of light spill outside the tank. It might just be the pic though. IMO that would bother the heck out of me. Yes one fixture will cover a 48" tank but then u have the light so high. If someone were to buy 2 for a 48" tank would they still need to have them that high?
Yes, there is a lot of spill when you try to cover 48". BUT Kessil is releasing diffusion and spot kits for the AP700 to either widen the light even more or create a more spot light effect. I believe with that, I should be able to lower the fixture even more.

http://kessil.com/aquarium/Accessories_AP700.php

scroll to bottom.

ninjamyst

Premium member
i think the thinking is that this is one hella expensive light for a 24" tank =P.

The reefer

Yes, there is a lot of spill when you try to cover 48". BUT Kessil is releasing diffusion and spot kits for the AP700 to either widen the light even more or create a more spot light effect. I believe with that, I should be able to lower the fixture even more.

http://kessil.com/aquarium/Accessories_AP700.php

scroll to bottom.
Oh ok. That could help. I just think having it that high will give u lower par numbers down the tank. It does say if u have it that high that u can do a mixed reef. Having it lower like 5-7" would be fine for a sps dominant tank. I'm sure It will be fine if making a mixed reef though.

tinman

then it would look extremely dull and dark :) kessils already look duller to the normal eye than many other lights ..
apologize for the side track ninja, :) but i hate ppl who talk like they know it all ..
i still stand by what i said both above and below ( in my signature) ..

i used a kessil A360WE on a 8 gallon and a 6 gallon tank at 25% so i know ....
not just with kessil any light lets say a radion Xr30w wouldnt look as nice on an 8 gallon tank at 10% as it would look at 80-100% on a 50cube .. regardless of what lens is used and how they design it ..

no company would ever make any product so ppl cant use it .. their purpose is to sell, and goal is to sell to all and hence they make smaller and lower priced version ..after that its common sense of who uses it where ...

having said the above .. i will refrain from further commenting on this discussion ;)

again i quote my signature ;)
" Dumbest of all is always the one that thinks he is smarter than everyone ..
Dont be a smartass all you get from me is ,,|,,"

SkullV

God forbid anyone agree with someone else on this forum. They might get called a smart ass!

SkullV

I TOTALLY agree.
O M G stop talking like you know it all. Mr smartypants!

Anyway. Ninja, do you know what they are using exactly to create the spotlight effect? Are they just replacing the cats eye lenses with the style lens on the cannon lights?

r33fswagg3r

Premium member
How about someone do this, someone buy 2x Fusion 10 tanks, put 1 under each lens, 1 tank sps, 1 tank softies. Ohhhhh man!

Seriously though, great job on tank placement and aquascaping! Now let's get it filled in with coral and shoot for totq.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
All 3 anthias are now eating. One is turning into a male with dark fins and purple body. Planning on heading out to Aquapros this weekend to pick out some gooodies.

Mjl714

I've got two xf130's, each on a 75g. Providing nice even flow. Not sure how fun cleaning will be.