JC Red Sea Reefer 350

madjoe

Premium member
I believe RW quarantines their livestock before sale; IDK if that's still the case or not.
Lol ive gotten ich and somthing else that went away when i flushed clowns from them so i wouldnt trust their qt if they do its r responsibilty to qt i choosenot to and deal with the outcome

ninjamyst

Premium member
I believe RW quarantines their livestock before sale; IDK if that's still the case or not.
yea, I dont think they QT ALL fish, just the expensive and delicate ones that they condition and make sure are eating frozen.

For the past 2 months, I used my 12 gallon nano tank as observation QT with mixed results. I had 2 firefish jump out through a small crack in the lid. I kept a baby yellow tang and a midas blenny in it for 2 weeks (not at the same time). During the time in the nano, both fish hid all the time and looks scared / stressed. As soon as I added them to the 75g, they are swimming in the open and eating like pigs. So I don't think I will QT anymore. I will just limit my fish purchases to Reefwise and New Fish because IMO they have the healthiest fish stock.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

Premium member
Also, for the cosmetus, they got it in a few days ago and it's already in their main display tanks so that's why I am sure they dont QT all their fish.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Went to New Fish today and they had two smaller cosmetus wrasse available. Damn it. Should have went there first. I rather get a small one.

Jep21

Does yours throw sand everywhere and cover up all your corals and hunt down your snails? I think I got the wrasse from hell...hahah.
It does.. It dives at the sand and spits it out.. And as of late my wrasse has been on the hunt for my snails.. Good thing it can't tackle on my bigger snails lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
Video of the tank =)

[video=youtube;7o-WK1-EWm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-WK1-EWm8[/video]

MMreef

Beautiful, how long those firefish are in your tank? I always thought that you need a mated pair, otherwise they will fight til there is one left. I really like your minimalist aquascape, and the negative space it creates. Plenty of room for fish. Any plans for more fish, if yes what kind next?

ColaAddict

Does yours throw sand everywhere and cover up all your corals and hunt down your snails? I think I got the wrasse from hell...hahah.
That guys been fine in my tank. My 2 tangs that are always kinda bickering keeps all the fish distracted, so no one else really misbehaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ninjamyst

Premium member
That guys been fine in my tank. My 2 tangs that are always kinda bickering keeps all the fish distracted, so no one else really misbehaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea, the cosmetus stopped throwing sand after a few days so that was good. All 3 of my firefish are out a lot more now though as you can see in the video =). I was really worried because they would hid all the time and not come out to feed.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Beautiful, how long those firefish are in your tank? I always thought that you need a mated pair, otherwise they will fight til there is one left. I really like your minimalist aquascape, and the negative space it creates. Plenty of room for fish. Any plans for more fish, if yes what kind next?
Thanks! I had the firefish for over a week now. I read a trio may work too in a bigger tank so I am taking a chance here. I do want more fish and thinking about either 2 more anthias of a different type or a flame angel. Both have their pros and cons. I am not sure if 2 more anthias will be too much since they are pigs with big bioload. I always wanted a flame angel but 50/50 chance it will nip at corals. For sure, I am getting a longnose hawkfish whenever Reefwise / New Fish / Aquapros get a small one in.

ninjamyst

Premium member
Some new pics. Tank is doing really really well. Picked up some great corals from fellow reefers. Only issue is one of the anthias is sick, looks super skinny and one eye is puffed up and white. Need to catch him and put him in my nano tank and prazipro. Otherwise, loving the Red Sea Reefer tank. Hoping to get some rock flower anemones in soon to cover the right side rock.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Tank is looking great! Nice photos too.

In my experience, anthias are prone to flukes, which often get on the eyes. I treated my DT with Prazipro a couple of years ago and had no ill effects (except a over bubbly skimmer).

ninjamyst

Premium member
Tank is looking great! Nice photos too.

In my experience, anthias are prone to flukes, which often get on the eyes. I treated my DT with Prazipro a couple of years ago and had no ill effects (except a over bubbly skimmer).
Thanks! Your purple stylo is doing great, you can see it in the Midas photo. I treated my DT with Prazipro in the beginning already but don't have enough right now to treat it again. So I rather treat it in the a small tank to makes water changes easier too.