JVC's JBJ 12 "Budget" Build

JVC

I'm kind of a picture whore... I snapped some more with the 18-55 kit lens to get a bit up closer.

don't mind the christmas tree in the background, haha

and then I have a question here...

I had a larger hammer in the middle of the tank which I believe "stung" this ricordea, ever since then it shriveled up and now has left this red goo stuff where it used to be... tried searching a bit to figure out what the goo is but I couldn't find anything...

Thanks for looking!
-John

oh... and a FTS

Man... I need to scrape some of that algae off the front glass... my eyes aren't good enough to tell its there but pictures show otherwise. :(

helitaiwan963

Awesome setup. love the aquascape and all the coral selection/placement. looks great! I can't wait to stocking my 12gal NC as well!

Jep21

to me it looks like cyano algae... You should probably siphon it out.. And regarding the ricordea probably move it away frm the hammer..hope this helps..

jeff

JVC

I'm gonna syphon it out tonight when I get home from class. I might move the ricordea but its glued down and I wouldn't be devastated if it died.

JVC

how's ur clowns doing by the way? I'm getting mine tmmrw :)
Clowns are doing GREAT! They love their tank.

Update, threw back in the powerhead until I upgrade my return pump since the hydorflo on the stock DX pump was creating dead areas of flow and I didn't want that.

Also tried some chemiclean that I got recommended by Steve at Fish Planet... seems to be helping the scenario quite a bit!

FTS

Duncans

Homemade frag rack with my Grow out Paly, Some Zoos from Fishbeard, and a small kenya tree frag I made

Going to move this into the center to replace the old big hammer in the next few days or so! Thanks again Fishbeard!

Galaxia... I love this coral, those tentacles look sooo good.

Clowns all happy and such

Last of the cyano on that back top rock

Behind those corals you can see a rock I made that has some zoas that I've found around the tank, some reddish/purple ones, dark green, light green and yellow ones!

Jep21

Looking good Bro.. Glad u got the cyano all taken care of.. Clowns are looking awesome :). Got mine last week frm blake.. Its sweet..

Jep21

Jvc got a question for u. I recently aquired a 12 jbj nano.. Do u thnk a 900 maxijett would be good for the flow in chamber one.. And how did u make ur frag rack on the back?

Thnks
Jeff

JVC

Jvc got a question for u. I recently aquired a 12 jbj nano.. Do u thnk a 900 maxijett would be good for the flow in chamber one.. And how did u make ur frag rack on the back?

Thnks
Jeff
Is it a DX or a regular 12?. If it's a DX then you can fit a 1200 in the last chamber which is what Brad (rattyE36) has and I would recommend, but that's because the DX has 3 chambers, where as the stock NC12 has 4 chambers so the last chamber is smaller and I think a 900 is as big as you can fit, I haven't determined that yet but that's my guess on what will fit. I'd say it will be enough flow with a 900 but if you can do a 1200 that would be more ideal.

Looking good Bro.. Glad u got the cyano all taken care of.. Clowns are looking awesome :). Got mine last week frm blake.. Its sweet..
Thanks man! I saw the one you got, I was in there the day Blake brought it in, looks awesome!

Jep21

Well i the one i have has three chambers so i gues its the DX version.. I only have the maxijett 900 i'll test it out.. Do u thnk adding a hydor nano 240 would make too much flow?

Haha thnks bro.. U inspired me to get one of blakes clowns.. Im very glad that it paired up nicely with my other clown

JVC

Well i the one i have has three chambers so i gues its the DX version.. I only have the maxijett 900 i'll test it out.. Do u thnk adding a hydor nano 240 would make too much flow?

Haha thnks bro.. U inspired me to get one of blakes clowns.. Im very glad that it paired up nicely with my other clown
These clowns are top notch! I think a maxijet 900 might be enough, if not a 1200 should be plenty and you could always throw the power head in, but personally if you can avoid the powerhead, then don't use it, it looks ugly in the tank and if a bigger pump will give enough flow go with that then.

rattyE36

Is it a DX or a regular 12?. If it's a DX then you can fit a 1200 in the last chamber which is what Brad (rattyE36) has and I would recommend, but that's because the DX has 3 chambers, where as the stock NC12 has 4 chambers so the last chamber is smaller and I think a 900 is as big as you can fit, I haven't determined that yet but that's my guess on what will fit. I'd say it will be enough flow with a 900 but if you can do a 1200 that would be more ideal.

Thanks man! I saw the one you got, I was in there the day Blake brought it in, looks awesome!

FYI I have an MJ900 not 1200.....

JVC

Red Slime Algae is gone for now! (there are some stains left from it but it's 98% done)

YWG Found a new home

Moved some zoas around.

FTS

I should be done picture whoring for now!
-John

JVC

Tank has been pretty much on cruise control. Added this little buddy today!

and he instantly went under the GSP and has not re-appeared.

Fighting some hair algae after I left town for 5 days and told my dad to feed the fish twice, I figure he threw in tons of dry food opposed to the like 5 pellets I normally put in and watch them eat. Keeping up with my water changes and everything should be back to normal in no time!

FishBeard

You need to add one of those 4x 1w royal blue LED kits from RapidLED to supplement your actinic, you will be AMAZED at the colors you will get out of all those corals. That euphyllia you got from me looks so totally different in your tank, and im sure its the lighting cause I have a piece in my 14g under the PC lights with my frogfish and it looks just like in your pics.

JVC

You need to add one of those 4x 1w royal blue LED kits from RapidLED to supplement your actinic, you will be AMAZED at the colors you will get out of all those corals. That euphyllia you got from me looks so totally different in your tank, and im sure its the lighting cause I have a piece in my 14g under the PC lights with my frogfish and it looks just like in your pics.
Yeah I might have to do that. I had some cheapie led strips I got that I've been meaning to install. Might do that tomorrow if the weather is shitty.

JVC

He's supposedly a fiddler crab but no one at MCF was totally sure. I just thought it was unique and I don't have any emeralds anymore.