JVC's JBJ 12 "Budget" Build

JVC

New FTS

Duncans and some Zoas I got from Fishbeard

New Acan, Grow Out Paly and New Green Ricordea (with a bit of clown interference!)

Hammer I got from Fishbeard (that will be placed where the old hammer was in the center, just letting it grow a bit bigger otherwise it will get lost down in the rock scape.

Duncans and my Hammer frag from Black Friday at MCF

YWG on a rock with a few small different types of zoos.

Galaxia

Zoa rock

Green Toadstool

anddd of course, a few more of the new clowns who are best friends and look happy as ever!

Thanks for Looking and Nice meeting anyone I met the other night at the MCF Holiday Party!
-John

JVC

Wow, your tank looks great...and it's filling up fast with corals. Good job.
Thanks man! I've been filling it up pretty quickly, can't wait to get this 24 gallon nanocube I have sitting around setup. Thinking I might go ahead and drill the 24 and run a 10 gallon sump. That probably won't get set up til later this winter or spring at the rate I'm going at.

Lookin' good!
Thanks! Good talking to you at the Holiday Party too!

love the tank!
Thanks!

SkullV

Thanks man! I've been filling it up pretty quickly, can't wait to get this 24 gallon nanocube I have sitting around setup. Thinking I might go ahead and drill the 24 and run a 10 gallon sump. That probably won't get set up til later this winter or spring at the rate I'm going at.
DONT DO IT! It seems like a great idea, and works really well for a while, but the glass on the nanocubes is just too thin! I have had 3 of them drilled. All while in use.

JVC

DONT DO IT! It seems like a great idea, and works really well for a while, but the glass on the nanocubes is just too thin! I have had 3 of them drilled. All while in use.
hmm... good to know. Just trying to figure out an alternate since the baffles have become unsiliconed in the back chamber of the 24 I have.

The reefer

Yea I've seen all 3 of his nano cubes and sadly they all ended bad. Luckily everything in there was fine. But I also think drilling the nano is not a great idea.

SkullV

hmm... good to know. Just trying to figure out an alternate since the baffles have become unsiliconed in the back chamber of the 24 I have.[/QUOTE)

Re-silicone them, really easy. Since they are physically molded into to the plastic wall the silicone doesn't even need to be pretty or sealed 100% As long as it's mostly a good job they will serve their purpose.

JVC

I'll probably just end up fixing the nanocube then. Id hate for it to fail if I drilled it.

Jamie - yeah I picked em up at the event. They were in one of the top tanks across from the register that everyone kept looking at. Haha

Blake - I want to go bigger but the nanocube is such an easy platform to setup that my costs into the 24 ($40 for tank and stand, maybe another $75 into pump/skimmer etc) are WAY lower than anything else I could find that would be bigger. Although I would love to do a 40 cube or something longer like a 40 breeder size but once you get into that territory there's a lot more costs in setting it up that I don't have the money for right now.

helitaiwan963

I'll probably just end up fixing the nanocube then. Id hate for it to fail if I drilled it.

Jamie - yeah I picked em up at the event. They were in one of the top tanks across from the register that everyone kept looking at. Haha

Blake - I want to go bigger but the nanocube is such an easy platform to setup that my costs into the 24 ($40 for tank and stand, maybe another $75 into pump/skimmer etc) are WAY lower than anything else I could find that would be bigger. Although I would love to do a 40 cube or something longer like a 40 breeder size but once you get into that territory there's a lot more costs in setting it up that I don't have the money for right now.
Look into a 20L build for the time being. You can collect parts by keeping an eye out on the F/S forums and things like the protein skimmer and pumps you can transfer into a 40B if you do build one down the road. You can also get away with some cheaper lighting cuz a 20L is so shallow, you don't have to worry about having a lot of PAR penetration vs on a taller tank.

I can't wait to get my 20L started up.

BTW: i love your aquascape on your 12gal NC... i hope to do something similar as far as livestock goes for my nanocube in our dinning room. Just gotta get one more of those stock PC bulbs so i can do 4x24watt PC lighting :)

-Eric

rattyE36

Look into a 20L build for the time being. You can collect parts by keeping an eye out on the F/S forums and things like the protein skimmer and pumps you can transfer into a 40B if you do build one down the road. You can also get away with some cheaper lighting cuz a 20L is so shallow, you don't have to worry about having a lot of PAR penetration vs on a taller tank.

I can't wait to get my 20L started up.

BTW: i love your aquascape on your 12gal NC... i hope to do something similar as far as livestock goes for my nanocube in our dinning room. Just gotta get one more of those stock PC bulbs so i can do 4x24watt PC lighting :)

-Eric
I have everything he needs to set up another tank pretty much and he knows it. I've got a 20L or a 29G, heater, return pump, sump, rocks, sand....It's just a matter of time...and MONEY!

JVC

I have everything he needs to set up another tank pretty much and he knows it. I've got a 20L or a 29G, heater, return pump, sump, rocks, sand....It's just a matter of time...and MONEY!
My money tree just died last week unfortunately. haha

helitaiwan963

i feel ya on the budget issues. i'm a college kid! haha, but i'm just taking my time and collecting the items i need and before i know it, the tank will be up and running.