New rules

Saledo

Dude we only get several of our sponsors that don't do that we got what coralcompulsion that streamlines stuff to us even way b4 it's up in his website and he lets us knw the prices, and If I can remember correctly WCR does also..

And ur right I don't work online.. Never said did
Yes for that kind of thing, its ok, but there are a ton that don't. And if you ever do want to work online, every time you make a customer click through an extra page who wants to buy something you lose between 7-10% who abandon the purchase. Gotta love analytics

Jep21

Thats a dangerous line there... I was with you up until that.... so its ok for sponsors to screw over members as long as they pay your fee?
Dude do research.. Just like buying anything u see on ebay u research and u ask questions when u buy something and if ur not satisfied with what u buy. Return it .. It's simple.. If u need the sponsor to send u more pics with certain lights on then good.. I think it's up to u as the buyer

Saledo

Hahaha...it was a joke. Since I'm just opening up my Comcast bill. Ouch. :)
yeah trust me im with you on there, my comcast was around 300 last month :)

But in your reply to Keith, you basically gave a buyer beware when it comes to sponsors, but this whole thread is about the "good of the community"... those two dont add up

Herbie

Banned
Thats a dangerous line there... I was with you up until that.... so its ok for sponsors to screw over members as long as they pay your fee?
I think it's more of a caveat emptor kind of a thing, isn't it? If we want more sponsors and therefore more opportunities to increase their competition for our business which will ultimately drive better prices, then ETR and Smitty need to start somewhere. I don't think a limit of 6 FS threads in a month is going to destroy anyone and if stating that limit keeps sponsors more comfortable with the exponentially higher fees they pay, then so be it. We've all seen people come in here hoping to hoodwink members. I personally feel that these requirements are on the right track to making sure that people selling have a little bit of time in here to let everyone get a better feel for their reefing philosophy. And like Smitty said, none of this is set in stone.

Saledo

Dude do research.. Just like buying anything u see on ebay u research and u ask questions when u buy something and if ur not satisfied with what u buy. Return it .. It's simple.. If u need the sponsor to send u more pics with certain lights on then good.. I think it's up to u as the buyer
Again... hearing alot of speeches about the good of the community on one hand, but on the other its a buyer beware? that was my point, does CR hold the sponsors to a standard or are they good as long as they pay sponsor fees?

Jep21

I think it's more of a caveat emptor kind of a thing, isn't it? If we want more sponsors and therefore more opportunities to increase their competition for our business which will ultimately drive better prices, then ETR and Smitty need to start somewhere. I don't think a limit of 6 FS threads in a month is going to destroy anyone and if stating that limit keeps sponsors more comfortable with the exponentially higher fees they pay, then so be it. We've all seen people come in here hoping to hoodwink members. I personally feel that these requirements are on the right track to making sure that people selling have a little bit of time in here to let everyone get a better feel for their reefing philosophy. And like Smitty said, none of this is set in stone.
+2

Wildisme

I don't know if ive ever met u before man. But u really need to give them a brake. He has no control over companies pricing just like he can't tell u what price u should sell ur products for. As a supporter that's why u payed the $20. To help support this forum and grow. If u just want a free pass to post anything and get free stuff then maybe u wasted ur money. But as a supporter, u should be glad they are putting in rules to help the forum grow And keep spammers off of here.

U can get pissed off about what rules they make but in the end, they need to be made and comparing supporters to sponsors isn't fair at all. Most of the sponsors here are good people with good prices

Smitty

Premium member
yeah trust me im with you on there, my comcast was around 300 last month :)

But in your reply to Keith, you basically gave a buyer beware when it comes to sponsors, but this whole thread is about the "good of the community"... those two dont add up
Naww, I wasn't telling you buyer beware on the sponsors...but as a buyer myself, I suggest beware of any business, because that's ultimately what they want, your business. Some are good, and unfortunate some are not so good. But that's when the community come together and steps up and weed out the not so good ones. :)

Jep21

I don't know if ive ever met u before man. But u really need to give them a brake. He has no control over companies pricing just like he can't tell u what price u should sell ur products for. As a supporter that's why u payed the $20. To help support this forum and grow. If u just want a free pass to post anything and get free stuff then maybe u wasted ur money. But as a supporter, u should be glad they are putting in rules to help the forum grow And keep spammers off of here.

U can get pissed off about what rules they make but in the end, they need to be made and comparing supporters to sponsors isn't fair at all. Most of the sponsors here are good people with good prices
+2

Jep21

Again... hearing alot of speeches about the good of the community on one hand, but on the other its a buyer beware? that was my point, does CR hold the sponsors to a standard or are they good as long as they pay sponsor fees?
That's why there's the rating system.. And I thnk for anything u buy online isn't it a buy beware.. U just gotta be smart with what u buy and just be smart in general

Saledo

Naww, I wasn't telling you buyer beware on the sponsors...but as a buyer myself, I suggest beware of any business, because that's ultimately what they want, your business. Some are good, and unfortunate some are not so good. But that's when the community come together and steps up and weed out the not so good ones. :)
I just buy where walt buys :) Figure if they are good for a coral snob like him, its good enough for me ;)

Herbie

Banned
What sort of standard are you looking for? (Truly honest question Dave) We're still young enough as a community that "willing to pay", and "being an actual business" are looking pretty good to me throwing in a discount, a promotional item, or some expertise just adds aditional value to the group. With your experience in web stuff, do you find that sites looking for commercial sponsors in their infancy are doing a ton of due diligence on the actual product lines they advertise on their banners and such? At least all of our sponsors are in some way fish related:) I think the beauty of CR is that we do the "caveat-ing" as a community and we protect our own. Fear of a damaged reputation will do a lot more to stave off predatory sales practices than Smitty, ETR and Mike can ever do. MHO completely, but I just don't think this is that big of a deal.

If the purpose of this is to protect us from the newbies who are coming on just to sell, then why not make the minimum post count 500 as a Senior Reefer. I think the buyer demographics are totally different between someone who is selling a $5 frag versus a sponsor selling a $70 frag.

With all the advertising revenue coming in from site links, all of the word of mouth advertising we old-timers generate with referrals, etc. it sort of feels a bit extreme for us who are basically doing all of the work by supporting our sponsors, clicking links and bringing new members in. We're doing all the work.

Smitty

Premium member
If the purpose of this is to protect us from the newbies who are coming on just to sell, then why not make the minimum post count 500 as a Senior Reefer. I think the buyer demographics are totally different between someone who is selling a $5 frag versus a sponsor selling a $70 frag.
We definitely couldn't do that, some of our active members don't even have 500 posts yet. That would surely cause an uproar. Hahaha :)

Herbie

Banned
We definitely couldn't do that, some of our active members don't even have 500 posts yet. That would surely cause an uproar. Hahaha :)
and we really don't want to get anywhere near the restrictions in place on other sites.

yogoshio

Personally, a short time frame and a legit post count isn't a bad idea, but bad rules thrown up arbitrarily are only going to cause confusion.