Sawdonkey's 220 Thread

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I love the simplicity of this tank. My gawd!!
Thanks Walt. It is simple partly by design and partly because of necessity. I can't have anything on the sandbed because the triggers use anything that isn't glued down as their personal beach ball. They also like to spit gravel all over everything, especially if is sitting on the bottom.

Reeflogic, if you're going to have any corals with those triggers, makes sure you have a good turkey baster. You'll need it almost daily. They are really fun fish, bet they are messy and devious. Gary's favorite pastime is "making it rain." He also likes to go to bed much earlier than the rest of the crew because he is an old man.

Reeflogic

lol, that's awesome man ;) I have had several triggers in the past, back before reefing was really "reefing" and loved the personalities. I'm too afraid to put them in with my SPS and LPS, but I'm thinking of doing a fowlr in my 90g now, something sweet and simple such as yours. I really like clown triggers and undulated, as well as the humas. Hell I love them all, just can't afford the expensive ones haha.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I love the simplicity of this tank. My gawd!!
By the way Walt, can you spot that tiny Sunburst Monti frag you gave me in the background of the pics? It's about a 2/3s of the plug now and it's also encrusting around the bottom side too. I really need to get these turtle pumps so my montis stop growing down instead of up (including the one you gave me).

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Well. The site might have crashed for a few days, but I've been busy collecting some frags. I took my first leap into limited edition corals now that I'm getting more confident in my abilities. I got my first frags ofTyree, ATL, and Reef Raft corals.

Reef Raft Nauti Spiral. Hoping it colors up cuz it's a little fleshy now:
View attachment 457

ATL Banana Lokani. Way more yellow in person:
View attachment 458

ATL Bali Tri Color:
View attachment 459

Tyree Pink Lemonade:
View attachment 460

ATL Strawberry Fields:
View attachment 461

Last edited:

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Finally, a FTS from this morning.

View attachment 471

Here is a shot of what is quickly becoming my favorite coral in my tank. I got this red stag about a month ago or so and when I brought it home, it was pretty much white with red polyps. Now it has morphed into a beautiful red and green color. I initially put it in the rear of my tank because it wasn't pretty at all. Last night, I moved it to front and center!

View attachment 469

View attachment 470

MikeyB

Nice frags there, and great looking FTS. I love how you have the rocks set up. Like you, i think im about ready to start jumping into some of the more expensive collector SPS as well.

*edit*

Where did you get all of the Tyree and ATL frags from? Did you have them shipped or from a LFS

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Nice frags there, and great looking FTS. I love how you have the rocks set up. Like you, i think im about ready to start jumping into some of the more expensive collector SPS as well.

*edit*

Where did you get all of the Tyree and ATL frags from? Did you have them shipped or from a LFS
Thanks for the compliments. I got this stuff off of a local reefer from RC. The prices were very reasonable at about $20 per frag. My plan all along was to fill up the tank with big, fast growing, easy, and cheap sps. Then move into nicer stuff. I don't like the look of live rock that looks like Pinhead from Hellraiser because it just has tons of 1" frags sticking out of it. Now I have a nice mix of colonies and frags.

MikeyB

I know what you mean, better to have some nice colonies growing that you can enjoy first then to throw in a ton of little frags and have to wait for everything to grow out. There's a bunch of fellow reefers here that have a lot of nice pieces but they're pretty far away from me. I think ill have to start driving and meeting up with everyone.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Nothing new going on. Just thought I'd put up some pics to track growth and color. All of the newer frags are incrusting and growing.

My Palmer's Blue is finally starting to take off:
View attachment 1107

GARF Bonz is encrusting nicely:
View attachment 1130

Banana Lokani has lost some color due to low placement. It's higher now:
View attachment 1109

My strawberry fields was a super small frag. It's encrusting and looking like it's gonna make it:
View attachment 1131

Red stag is still coloring up nicely and encrusting:
View attachment 1111

Last edited:

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Here are a few more:

Not sure what this is, but it started as a micro frag (from Happy Corals) and is growing nicely:
View attachment 1112

The guy I got this from called it a T's Blue Tabling Acro. The mother was beautiful in his tank. My frag.....not so much:
View attachment 1113

This is my tiny frag of Pink Lemonade. At least it's encrusting so I don't have to worry about a fish knocking it loose:
View attachment 1115

Bali Tricolor is looking good and encrusting off the plug in a hurry:
View attachment 1132

And here are a bunch of unknown ebay corals (well, they seller had names on them, but they were BS names):
View attachment 1116

View attachment 1117

View attachment 1118

View attachment 1133

Ebay seller called this Pearlberry Something Or Other. It is coloring up, but it's definitely doesn't compare to a real Pearlberry. Ha!
View attachment 1119

Here is Gary doing what Gary does........Making it Rain!
View attachment 1121

Last edited: