Sawdonkey's 220 Thread

MikeyB

Coral is all looking great! It'll be interesting to see how that strawberry fields acro turns out, if it ends up looking like the pics it'll be an amazing piece

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Nothing new happening in the tank. I've been running GFO for a few week and got my Phos in control. I've also been dosing Acropower for a couple of months. I've probably dosed about 700ml at this point. Now that my colonies are getting bigger, they are really starting to grow. It takes forever for a frag to turn into a mini-colony, but it doesn't take long for a mini-colony to turn into a legit colony.

Just took a few photos tonight to track growth/color.

Sanjay Milka Purple Stylo growing out nicely:
View attachment 1414

GARF Bonz it encrusting and looking happy:
View attachment 1415

This uknown acro is turning out pretty nice. Here is a shot of it on 12/12/13 and one from tonight:
View attachment 1416
View attachment 1417

My tiny frags of pink lemonade and strawberry fields are still tiny, but encrusting and looking good:
View attachment 1418

The strawberry fields if starting to get the red on the tips:
View attachment 1419

This is a small piece of peach digi that broke off my larger piece. It's starting to take off:
View attachment 1421

And my Palmer's Blue continues to thrive. The photos do nothing to show the true color. This thing is BRIGHT blue:
View attachment 1420

Sawdonkey

Premium member
I picked up 8 "frags" from a local reefer a few days ago. These were huge frags, most 3-4 inches. Most of them look a little beat up still from transport, gluing down, an possibly a taste test from my emperor. I got:

Tricolor acro
View attachment 1598

Florescent green acro. I'm putting this one kinda low in my tank to see how it does. I'm running out of real estate up high.
View attachment 1599

Purple Nana. Pretty beat up, but I'm sure it will come around:
View attachment 1600

Purple/blue acro. Also pretty beat up. I was a nice light blue in the seller's tank but purple in higher light areas. I'm gonna try it up high and see how it colors up
View attachment 1606

Red stag with purple tips. Seller gave me some huge chunks of this. Really red in his tank. I have it pretty low in the tank now, but I imagine I'll have to move it up at some point if I want it to be vibrant.
View attachment 1602

Red Prostata. This looked amazing in his tank. Not so much in mine. I have a piece that looked similar to this when I got it an now its one of my favorites. I'm hopeful for this one:
View attachment 1603

Some unknown purple tipped acro. Again, pretty beat up (and bad pic) but I'm hopeful. Looked great in seller's tank.
View attachment 1604

And of course, FTS:
View attachment 1605

tinman

Dude your scape is amazing. I never thought a fowlr can be that nice but seeing your tank pics make me want a biiiiiiiig fowlr :)

Oh and those frags are amazing, good luck

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Dude your scape is amazing. I never thought a fowlr can be that nice but seeing your tank pics make me want a biiiiiiiig fowlr :)

Oh and those frags are amazing, good luck
Thanks. I like the way it's filling in. The one regret I have is making it so vertical. Other than the tops of the stacks, the coral placement options are pretty limited. I'm trying to fill in the lower half, but it gets shaded from the top. I may add a couple of pieces of rock at the bottom so it slopes out a little l more.

What do you mean FOWLR? Do you just mean fish that are more typically found in a FOWLR?

tinman

Thanks. I like the way it's filling in. The one regret I have is making it so vertical. Other than the tops of the stacks, the coral placement options are pretty limited. I'm trying to fill in the lower half, but it gets shaded from the top. I may add a couple of pieces of rock at the bottom so it slopes out a little l more.

What do you mean FOWLR? Do you just mean fish that are more typically found in a FOWLR?
yep i thought most of the fish in your tank are not reef safe ..

Sawdonkey

Premium member
yep i thought most of the fish in your tank are not reef safe ..
Probably true, and my corals do take a beating, probably don't grow as well as they do in other tanks, and don't get great pe, but I really love my fish! I've had Gary for 11 years. All of my coral could go before I'd ever consider giving up Gary, or Al Roker, or Anderson Cooper. I just started keeping coral a little over a year ago it has totally revived my interest in the hobby. FOWLR just got boring.

tinman

Probably true, and my corals do take a beating, probably don't grow as well as they do in other tanks, and don't get great pe, but I really love my fish! I've had Gary for 11 years. All of my coral could go before I'd ever consider giving up Gary, or Al Roker, or Anderson Cooper. I just started keeping coral a little over a year ago it has totally revived my interest in the hobby. FOWLR just got boring.
I'm saying I'm liking the idea of having big beautiful fish. Always loved coral over fish but I get this "awe even fish looks more beautiful than coral" sometimes :) wifey on the other hand loves fish more than coral or mins would have been just a coral tank haha

madjoe

Premium member
Boring never. I have two well 3 tanks running. I like corals live my reef but fish r definitly y im in the hobby and what i spend big money on corals r just accesseries to me . At one point both tanks were reefs but was pia trying keep up with both . Not to mention i like push boundries on whats reef safe and whats not and when i didnt work out i had to sell now i just put in fowlr . Plus i live my angels and buterflies with reef i got bored kinda opposite if u now with f/o i can have those fish i always wanted but couldnt buy cause they eat stuff. I always wanted big tank like yours but think im gonna stick with two smaller ones so i can have best of both worlds

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Tank looks great man, I've gotta come out there and see it sooner rather than later!
Thanks. You're welcome any time as soon as my girlfriend has knee surgery this Thurs. and heals up a little. I don't think she'll be down for guests for a few weeks.

SkullV

Thanks. You're welcome any time as soon as my girlfriend has knee surgery this Thurs. and heals up a little. I don't think she'll be down for guests for a few weeks.
My girlfriend just had surgery too, doesn't live with me though so I get to do what I want (for now). Tell her good luck!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Some aggressive nighttime nori eating:

[video=youtube;9qX0MLJQbsY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qX0MLJQbsY&feature=youtu.be[/video]