Spartanman22's Fluval M90

rockhead

You could have some of my water from my water change,my Hanna is testing at .23 yesterday but see no harm in anything and it’s been that high for me for months.

Spartanman22

You could have some of my water from my water change,my Hanna is testing at .23 yesterday but see no harm in anything and it’s been that high for me for months.
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it! I ordered some chemiclean yesterday so we shall see how it goes. I just interpret this as meaning I can add more fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Bought the sump for my upgrade yesterday. Was hoping to have a custom job from elite Aquatics but they quoted me at like $900 all said and done . Fortunately I found this on R2R for a good price. Should still work with my color scheme and currently acquired equipment. But am going to look to trade the Vectra S1 I got for a Cor-15.

Spartanman22

Just found my whip fin with a chunk missing from the top of his head. I woke up this morning to find one of the mp10 wetsides on the sand bed. I’m thinking he may have swam into one last night. Fortunately they run very low over night. He seems to be fine. Active, eating and no erratic behavior.

I also just added some chemi-clean to try and kick this cyano in the but. Hopefully the tank responds well and there aren’t any issues.

ultimatemj

Makes sure to run aeration with chemiclean...

If you have a strong skimmer you can leave it running and just take the cup off and let it overflow into the sump.

But an extra air stone is never a bad idea when you have a heavy bioload.

Side note, everytime it get cyano if chase my tail for a week or two and the realize my DI resin is expired and hosting bacteria lol

Last edited:

GugsJr

TeamCR
I lost an eel to an MP40 before. I ended up buying an anemone guard after that. Now I'm glad I have a closed loop system with no wave makers at all.

Spartanman22

I lost an eel to an MP40 before. I ended up buying an anemone guard after that. Now I'm glad I have a closed loop system with no wave makers at all.
I lost a small eel in my work tank to that. I’ve never had issues with fish doing it though. Hopefully he recovers well.

Spartanman22

If you have a strong skimmer you can leave it running and just take the cup off and let it overflow into the sump.

Side note, everytime it get cyano if chase my tail for a week or two and the realize my DI resin is expired and hosting bacteria lol

Oh good point I did notice the DI looking a bit gross. I’ll have to replace it tomorrow.

Sawdonkey

Premium member

Is that your DI canister or your filter block? Is your DI Resin White? I’ve never seen mine do that.

ultimatemj

Is that your DI canister or your filter block? Is your DI Resin White? I’ve never seen mine do that.
Unfortunately, that is the DI canister. I'm using the color changing resin, it goes from blue to greenish-brown. It looks worse than it is...

Spartanman22

Unfortunately, that is the DI canister. I'm using the color changing resin, it goes from blue to greenish-brown. It looks worse than it is...
I checked mine this morning and it looks the same. So I’ll be changing out my resin today.

Checked the tank camera at work this morning and saw the wrasse swimming around. So hopefully his head recovers just fine.

Spartanman22

Found my office tank sprung a leak today. Looks like I’ll have to shut that down in a hurry.

Spartanman22

Chemiclean treatment seams to have worked really well, although it looks like it’s going to have cost me my RR Pink Cadillac frag. The chemiclean really irritated it and started losing tissue this morning.

ultimatemj

Chemiclean treatment seams to have worked really well, although it looks like it’s going to have cost me my RR Pink Cadillac frag. The chemiclean really irritated it and started losing tissue this morning.
If you have any iodine based dip (Seachem reef dip, lugols, etc) you may want to try dipping it.

tinman

its always the toxin from dead flat worms that does that to corals and never chemiclean ..

i dosed about 4 times recommended dose just thinking there might be some flatworms a long while ago and didnt even do water change .. all corals are fine ..

a very very underrated dip/coral bath is melafix .. its awesome and both fish and corals love it .. revives chalices like nothing else .. may be worth a try ?

this
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/api-melafix-for-aquariums-16-oz-1249908?cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop-_-45902100614-_-A&kpid=go_943958602_45902100614_224324358714_aud-465365484164:pla-550040555199_c&scid=scplp1249908&sc_intid=1249908&utm_config=tad0iunwp&utm_campaign=PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop&utm_source=google&gclid=CjwKCAiAqt7jBRAcEiwAof2uK1b9a2y7ovdVjUsDf416fpT7qHLF_KRiwdXrAyzAIZwegnWTbtP7PhoCzacQAvD_BwE

Spartanman22

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I left it alone and the tissue necrosis seems to have stopped. I’ll likely have lost the vertical portion of the frag, but the encrusted base had PE and looked ok this evening. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Spartanman22

Yesterday marks the first day my tank has ever had a pH above 8.0!

Despite having a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer I really struggle keeping my pH up. It’s been hovering closer to 8.0 lately and as a result I’ve noticed an uptake in alkalinity consumption and lots of new growth tips. Hoping the weather warms up enough to start cracking some windows!

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Yesterday marks the first day my tank has ever had a pH above 8.0!

Despite having a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer I really struggle keeping my pH up. It’s been hovering closer to 8.0 lately and as a result I’ve noticed an uptake in alkalinity consumption and lots of new growth tips. Hoping the weather warms up enough to start cracking some windows!

Wow! That’s low. My scrubber made a world of difference but I also use Kalk as my sole alk/cal source.