Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

Versa peristaltic pump, did you install? Any Initial opinion?
I did not. I bought it to use as the feed pump for the calcium reactor on my new tank, but I may use it as an ATO. I will say that I found the build quality to be exceptional. The thing feels very sturdy. There are way too many products in the market for reef keeping that cost a fortune and look and feel like they should cost $10. This is not one of those. Plus I think Ecotech’s customer service is phenomenal.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
Tank looks great! So, this is an all in one with no sump? Love that multibar. Once you get home acclimated, I curious to see how he does with your corals and anemones.

Once I’m back at my house after all of this stuff is over, I’m totally getting a Versa and a different calcium reactor (either geo or bubble magus).

Spartanman22

Tank looks great! So, this is an all in one with no sump? Love that multibar. Once you get home acclimated, I curious to see how he does with your corals and anemones.

Once I’m back at my house after all of this stuff is over, I’m totally getting a Versa and a different calcium reactor (either geo or bubble magus).
Thanks! It’s really coming into its own lately. It is an all in one. I hate having no sump. I’ve been planning out an upgrade and have most everything procured. I haven’t gotten around to moving forward with it because I was supposed to be moving to New York for work. It looks like that won’t be happening now. So hopefully I can move forward.

I’m torn on moving forward with the upgrade in our current house. No basement means the tank has to somewhere in the main living space, which means it has to look like it belongs there. I just don’t know that there’s space right now. So I may setup the calcium reactor on this setup. I’m dosing so much three part that it’s probably make sense to switch. Then I can setup the trident too.

I went with a Seapora calcium reactor. It’s made by JNS, we’ll see how it goes I may be upgrading to a Geo later on, or go crazy and go with one of the Deltec or Pacific Sun automated reactors.

Multi bars are my favorite fish. I’ve typically had good success with them not touching coral. The tricky part is getting them to eat. This ones my third. The first two didn’t make it past a week. They were small and thin. This guy came in beefy and active. He’s still a bit skittish but I’m finding him more and more outgoing. Still hasn’t taken to any food well yet but I see him picking at the rocks so he’s eating something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

Well Multibar #3 was found dead this morning. He, just like the previous two, never ate anything. Multi bars are my favorite fish, but until I can find a more reliable source I’m going to have to take a break from those guys.

Spartanman22

Did a water change yesterday and found one of my favorite no name colonies looking like this today. Hopefully I can save at least a small chunk. Silver lining I guess this frees up space for some frags sitting on the sandbed.

rockhead

Did a water change yesterday and found one of my favorite no name colonies looking like this today. Hopefully I can save at least a small chunk. Silver lining I guess this frees up space for some frags sitting on the sandbed.

Funny you post this I did a water change for the first time in 2 months and lost 2 pieces no namers bit both were white in 2 days

Spartanman22

I’m thinking my nitrates were a little high as I was feeding a crazy amount of food trying to get that multibar to eat. So the water changed dropped nitrates a good amount which was probably a shock. Thankfully everything else seems great. Actually everything else is already coloring up after browning a bit due to high nitrates.

Unfortunately it looks like the multibar May have introduced brook and ich. Lesson learned for not QT’ing. Setting up a 20 long today and will treat with API general cure for brook and then cupramine for possible ich. Then probably finish it out with prazi for any worms.

Spartanman22

Well this just isn’t my week. Found my sand perch dried up on the floor. Left for about 2 hours to run some errands and came back to him dried up.

Spartanman22

Do you guys think a 20 long would work in the garage with a heater for a hospital tank, or are our nightly lows still pushing it?

Mjl714

Considering last night was down to 35, probably be tough, but might depend on size of heater. Try it, without any fish and see if it holds the temp.

Spartanman22

Considering last night was down to 35, probably be tough, but might depend on size of heater. Try it, without any fish and see if it holds the temp.
Good idea I’ll run it with tap water and heater tonight. Going to need to get something setup as their temporary holding tank once treated.

Mjl714

Good idea I’ll run it with tap water and heater tonight. Going to need to get something setup as their temporary holding tank once treated.

How’d your test keeping tank in the garage at temp work out?

Spartanman22

How’d your test keeping tank in the garage at temp work out?
I haven’t tried it yet I haven’t had much time yet this week. I’ve got 4 of the 6 fish caught and going through TTM. once done I’ll move them to the 20 and observe/hold for 11 weeks

Spartanman22

So COVID has not been kind to my tank. Not sure what’s going on, but things have been struggling. All parameters have check out: Alk around 8.0, calcium 380-400, nitrates 5-10.

In the last month I’ve lost a no name colony, WWC After Party Frag, UC Dippin Dots frag, my ASD Dragon Queen colony started STN’ng, PC Superman colony started STN’ng and I lost an ASD Cherry Blossom.

Alternatively, several coral are demonstrating great growth and coloration. My Vivid Rainbow delight has more color than it ever has and several colonies are showing good growth.

I’m not sure what to do, but getting nervous I may be facing a crash in the near future.

Sawdonkey

Premium member
What’s your water change philosophy? I know a lot of really experienced people don’t do them much at all. When I start seeing problems....I start changing out water! I just try to dilute away the issue...especially if I don’t know what the problem is.

Spartanman22

I don’t do a whole lot of water changes but I have done a couple recently to try and combat whatever’s going on. I’ve got water mixing for one today actually.

dvanlier05

Have you checked phosphates? Never easy finding out what's wrong when other corals are doing fine...I have dippin dots if u want to replace it.