What ive done to the fowlr

jrpark22000

Premium member
Unfortunately a snake must of got out while doing maintenance havent seen him or her in week lol but other one is great and dam frog is fat azz geckos to made the right choice on direction for this tank finally. So jr next time u trim some plants sent em in mail to me lol heard they come with free froggers
I trim almost every other week. We'll need to wait until warm weather, but it'll be no problem to usps them to you. No free frogs though :)

adubson

That setup looks great! I have a pretty extensive background in reptiles/amphibians so it's fun to have a little crossover here.

Keep an eye out in the warmest spots of your place for the snake. At the shop I worked at, we got calls about lost snakes ALL the time and the majority of the time they'd find them in a shoe in a closet. But those guys are arboreal so I'd keep an eye on places like the back of the fridge and such.

Any worries about the day gecko being a snack for the vine snake? I couldn't really tell the size difference between em in the pic. We used to feed vine snakes anoles on occasion since that's right in line with their normal diet.

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adubson

My dream build is a hanging live plant setup for panther chameleons that hangs over a reef tank. Ahh, one day...

madjoe

Premium member
That setup looks great! I have a pretty extensive background in reptiles/amphibians so it's fun to have a little crossover here.

Keep an eye out in the warmest spots of your place for the snake. At the shop I worked at, we got calls about lost snakes ALL the time and the majority of the time they'd find them in a shoe in a closet. But those guys are arboreal so I'd keep an eye on places like the back of the fridge and such.

Any worries about the day gecko being a snack for the vine snake? I couldn't really tell the size difference between em in the pic. We used to feed vine snakes anoles on occasion since that's right in line with their normal diet.

Great work!

No snake is smaller so far snake just eat crickets they maybe good may not lol i always roll the dice i did read the snakes prefer crickets grasshopers and smaller amphibions everything in this tank is cheap so i dont worry to much about it worth the risk they look cool together

madjoe

Premium member
My dream build is a hanging live plant setup for panther chameleons that hangs over a reef tank. Ahh, one day...

I had a panther man pia to keep i just didnt have right set up i guess

adubson

I had a panther man pia to keep i just didnt have right set up i guess
Oh yeah definitely, they take a ton of work. Make reef tanks look easy.

I used to breed chameleons though so I'd love to get one again someday.

madjoe

Premium member
Oh yeah definitely, they take a ton of work. Make reef tanks look easy.

I used to breed chameleons though so I'd love to get one again someday.

I did to breed veileds but they like mushrooms in salt water cant kill em they just multiply lol

madjoe

Premium member

Great work!

Ha im sleeping on couch and wife screems dam snake was in kitchen lol still alive

madjoe

Premium member
Also picked up some pygmy chameleons so bought another cage lol heres pic of female

Last edited:

adubson

Lol always show up at crazy times. Glad you found it.

Pygmy chameleons are sweet. So much easier too, and cheaper...

madjoe

Premium member
Hey josh u mind sharing with me what u did to keep your tank humidity up i saw lots of fans and misting heads lol i ordered bunch more also gonna build some led plat lights . The moss is one taking the hit wanna get the plants to really take off and add bunch more . Just wanna see if i can get some ideas from what u did obviously we have dif needs for r set ups but maybe i can integrate some u ideas into mine

jrpark22000

Premium member
Hey josh u mind sharing with me what u did to keep your tank humidity up i saw lots of fans and misting heads lol
No Prob Joe. Here's the first post in the build thread abot the setup.
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/14426-Poison-Dart-Frogs-my-build-and-general-info?p=237346&viewfull=1#post237346

I control the misting pump via the apex dedicated to the frogs. Despite wearing out my welcome with Neptune Sys, they aren't going to make a humidity probe for the apex. I'v e used a zoomed hygrotherm to monitor the humidity level
http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=260&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

It sucks to monitor it manaully but there isn't much else for an option. There are two sets of fans on each terrarium. One small set (one setup to push air, the other to suck air) they go on once an hour for a few minutes (during daylight hours only) to crculate the air in the tank. The other larger set of fans is for cooling in the summer. Same setup (one pushing one pulling) and they are triggered by the apex air temp probe. If neptune would only create a way to monitor humidity there'd be so many more options, like cooling the tanks using the misting system and fans combined.

madjoe

Premium member
No Prob Joe. Here's the first post in the build thread abot the setup.
http://www.chicagoreefs.com/forums/showthread.php/14426-Poison-Dart-Frogs-my-build-and-general-info?p=237346&viewfull=1#post237346

I control the misting pump via the apex dedicated to the frogs. Despite wearing out my welcome with Neptune Sys, they aren't going to make a humidity probe for the apex. I'v e used a zoomed hygrotherm to monitor the humidity level
http://zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=260&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

It sucks to monitor it manaully but there isn't much else for an option. There are two sets of fans on each terrarium. One small set (one setup to push air, the other to suck air) they go on once an hour for a few minutes (during daylight hours only) to crculate the air in the tank. The other larger set of fans is for cooling in the summer. Same setup (one pushing one pulling) and they are triggered by the apex air temp probe. If neptune would only create a way to monitor humidity there'd be so many more options, like cooling the tanks using the misting system and fans combined.
thanks man goona look at build thread when i get home . I have a stc humidity controller and had it hooked to my mist king misting system problem with that was dam mister was kicking on every few mins lol since we have dif creatures i had to find the medium between your set up and min since i do run a ceramic heater and uvb bulb plus the two plat bulbs . Im hopeing to build two plant led fixtures my only issue is the led bulbs i ordered r full spectrum for plants so plants will grow good but animals visually will be magenta lol . So gotta play with that also . Even found out theres dif lights for dif stages of the plants life wtf lol so thats why i went full spectrum suposse to be good for all stages of the life cycle

jrpark22000

Premium member
yeah, I don't do any in tank heating and don't run uvb bulbs. All my heating is done with undertank water heaters and a small electric room heater, for winter.

I've done some research on LEDs for plant growth. If you listen to manuf they'll say it's possible and does great. When you look at any real plant grower, it's a rarity they do anythign other than T5 or halide. I'm sticking T5, Ge ecolux 54W bulbs. They're cheap when buying by the case and I get 12-18 months out of them.

Unless you are looking to get your plants to flower(4100K), stick with mid summer light color (6500K) aka full spectrum.

Best place I've found for them. I've grown everything from tropicals, bonsai, succulents and now both frog tanks under them. Growth under these is great as long as you have enough light to prevent the plants from climbing to reach up for the light, but that is a problem with any time you don't have enought light.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/152904/GE-46763.html

madjoe

Premium member
yeah, I don't do any in tank heating and don't run uvb bulbs. All my heating is done with undertank water heaters and a small electric room heater, for winter.

I've done some research on LEDs for plant growth. If you listen to manuf they'll say it's possible and does great. When you look at any real plant grower, it's a rarity they do anythign other than T5 or halide. I'm sticking T5, Ge ecolux 54W bulbs. They're cheap when buying by the case and I get 12-18 months out of them.

Unless you are looking to get your plants to flower(4100K), stick with mid summer light color (6500K) aka full spectrum.

Best place I've found for them. I've grown everything from tropicals, bonsai, succulents and now both frog tanks under them. Growth under these is great as long as you have enough light to prevent the plants from climbing to reach up for the light, but that is a problem with any time you don't have enought light.
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/152904/GE-46763.html
Yea t5 is the best im more just bored and have all parts so why not try wll be added light not replacement

jrpark22000

Premium member
Yea t5 is the best im more just bored and have all parts so why not try wll be added light not replacement
Totally agree by adding some LED stunners. Growers are able to simulate the different colors of light (adding red LEDs to get 4100K) to their T5 setups and getting great blooming of their plants. Think pot, they're the ones making the most headway in LEDs.

madjoe

Premium member
Totally agree by adding some LED stunners. Growers are able to simulate the different colors of light (adding red LEDs to get 4100K) to their T5 setups and getting great blooming of their plants. Think pot, they're the ones making the most headway in LEDs.
Yea i dont think u can do any hobby just led imo but with the space i have left up in canopy this is definitely easiest way to add some light for my plants and worth the shot . Using t8 lights right now with plant bulbs and the uvb is t5 which there r contradicting arguments weither i need it even for the criters im keeping now . But i do notice the day geckos r super green since adding em