120 Rimless build

jrpark22000

Premium member
Wait u running biopellets ? If so that alk to high suposse to be like 7.5 or seven i belive when using bio pellets
Exactly the kind f problem my tank has. No biopellets here but same results. ALK gets a little high and burnt tips. 1dkh more and massive RTN.

Sorry for the side track Chris. Just wasn't sure if it would help in your case or not.

Sparky312

There may be a connection with nitrate -- systems with detectable nitrates can and usually benefit from higher alk, while "low nutrient" systems (zero nitrate) need to have alk lower at 7-7.5, so just to kind of echo what Joe and Josh were saying. I've read a lot of threads on this lately and Randy Holmes-Farley is on many of them. So hard to know for certain but it does seem to be a consensus opinion and I've observed it as well.

Sorry to hear about the Monti eating Nudibrachs man, that totally sucks. I can help you with a couple free pieces when you are ready for them again, I have the forest fire.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Thanks for the replies. I have read before to just keep it under 8. That is why I wanted to stop at 7.9. Well I guess I learned something from this. Slowly restock and get the dosing down. I prob need a dosing pump instead of just dosing by hand every couple days. Soon hopefully. To much going on and damn weddings. Heh.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Been bored most of the day so decided to take a bunch of random pictures. Thanks MadJoe for stopping by with the par meter. From the results of the par meter I guess I was running really low. Lot of people say watch out because the sols are very powerful and will burn corals. I had the lights set at W48 B60 RB60 I thought that would of been enough after working my way up to that. Well the par meter at that level was only showing 100 to 130 maybe at the top of the rock. I dropped the lights about 3 inches and par jumped to around 180. Needed more so I bumped the lights to W60 80B RB80. That put par around 220-250. Hopefully show some improvements. Also believe some of my fish have flukes. Prob going to dose prazi in the tank. I would of done it today but I have no way to get to the store.. sucks, and next week I leave for Mexico. Might have to do it after Mexico. AGH..

bryman

Looking really good man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Sorry just read back a bit and saw about your alk issues. I agree with the others, with biopellets 7.5 is about as high as you can go if your nitrate reads 0. And avoid adding any more than 0.5 Dkh in a 24 hour period.

Let me know what you lost and I'll help restock you too. My stuff is growing pretty well now and more can be cut.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Thank you Bryan. I learn very well from my mistakes, and wont be dosing so much at a time ever again. :) Slowly getting back on track.. Just got a super deal on a dosing pump fixture. Cheaper then a Jabao, and hopefully works much better.. Picked up a Eshopps IV dosing unit. Not a GHL OR some other fancy ones, but I think better then me dosing by hand. Man my pictures look so bad, much better when viewing them on my local PC.

Rcunning8

Premium member
love the look of that tank man! the rock work is really awesome. Sorry to hear about the recent loss and pests in the tank

sk8elenex92

Premium member
I dosed the tank with prazipro on Monday but Been out of town since Monday night for work. Wife said all the fish are eating and look happy. Took out my carbon and skimmer. So hopefully things will do ok. I should be home tonight to check tank out. Not sure how I got these pests on the tank since I dip everything and inspect them all. Who knows. And I have no one to blame but my self for the fish since I don't QT. fingers crossed. I just want my sps to start thriving. :(.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Well everything looks fine except my red star was died. It was just rotting away. Not sure if it was because of Prazi pro or not. The glass did have a lot of dust algae just from Monday. Most likely due to not running the skimmer. Planning on doing a big waterchange saturday.
And my ghetto dosing container and new dosing pump. Ha.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Got the doser hooked up. Only set at 9ml a day dosed 6 times through the night. First time having a doser so kinda excited to see how stable the tank can stay. My calcium has yet to change due to running kalk.

My fake azz shelf from random parts I found at work. Works fine and free.

And Mr noisy

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Finally back from Mexico after 8 days. Tank looks damn dirty. Wish I took a pic before cleaning glass.
Looks like I may have bryoposis. Yeapppppp. FML. Going to grab some tech m and give it a shot. Problem after problem.

Good news is my leopard wrasse is actually freaking eating and pellets!!!! Never seen the fish eat till I got home yesterday. Crazy even eating nori sheets.
I believe the prazi pro may have helped. Not sure.

Believe this is bryoposis. Not sure

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Bryopsis treatment started with tech m. Hopefully the few patches go away. I'm sick of tearing it off the zoas. I don't trust my test kit. Tested my water and got 1600+ on magnesium? I also tested a fresh batch of saltwater I mixed Tuesday and also tested over 1600. Either my test kit is bad or I have a bad batch of salt.
So far dosed 10 fl oZ. which would only be 40 ppm of magnesium.

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Went through two bottles of Tech M so far and not a change in the Bryposis. Going to get two more bottles today and continue adding more. My mag is over 1600 now. hopefully nothing gets effected to much, well how much worse can my damn tank get.. :(

sk8elenex92

Premium member
Finally got my T5s hung. Tank looks so much crisper. Ha. If that makes sense. My Zoas are glowing. The bowsers look better then ever. Hopefully my sps adjust to it and start coloring up.
Currently have the lights hung 13 inches from water. Probably going to lower a bit once a week. So far I'm loving it. Very happy with the switch.

xj_matt

Premium member
Finally got my T5s hung. Tank looks so much crisper. Ha. If that makes sense. My Zoas are glowing. The bowsers look better then ever. Hopefully my sps adjust to it and start coloring up.
Currently have the lights hung 13 inches from water. Probably going to lower a bit once a week. So far I'm loving it. Very happy with the switch.

What light combo did you go with?