guns!

That last statement is the one you have to worry about. If someone comes into a mall and starts shooting the place up and i have a completely legal CC on me and everything is legit, and I decide to take that guy out because he is on a shooting spree. I am 99.9% sure i will not have to spend any time in jail, or go broke trying to defend myself.
Now if someone hits my car and I'm upset and I draw on the person and shoot, then i deserve to go to jail. There will be both types of these situations once this all goes into effect. Just like anything else out there. There is good and there is stupid. You just have to decide which side you want to be on.
you would be given the Keys to the mall,the town , and given a medal of honor as well ..

****(720 ILCS 5/Art. 7 heading)ARTICLE 7.*JUSTIFIABLE USE OF FORCE; EXONERATION***
*(720 ILCS 5/7-1)*(from Ch. 38, par. 7-1)*****Sec. 7-1.*Use of force in defense of person.*****
(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or another against such other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or another, or the commission of a forcible felony.***
*(b) In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7-4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.*(Source: P.A. 93-832, eff. 7-28-04.)

You can use lethal force to stop a commission of a felony.
This is ABSOLUTELY not true.
You are incorrect. Remember we are talking about dwellings.

*(720 ILCS 5/7-2)*(from Ch. 38, par. 7-2)*****Sec. 7-2.*Use of force in defense of dwelling.*****
(a) A person is justified in the use of force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's unlawful entry into or attack upon a dwelling. However, he is justified in the use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if:
*********(1) The entry is made or attempted in a violent,****riotous, or tumultuous manner, and he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent an assault upon, or offer of personal violence to, him or another then in the dwelling, or
********(2) He reasonably believes that such force is****necessary to prevent the commission of a felony in the dwelling.****
(b) In no case shall any act involving the use of force justified under this Section give rise to any claim or liability brought by or on behalf of any person acting within the definition of "aggressor" set forth in Section 7-4 of this Article, or the estate, spouse, or other family member of such a person, against the person or estate of the person using such justified force, unless the use of force involves willful or wanton misconduct.*(Source: P.A. 93-832, eff. 7-28-04.)

Even without a castle law IL is pretty good at letting you secure the fort. Even better than AZ before they made their castle law.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

roilciuc

Well I am relieved that I live in Lake County and it seems that lake county has good home defense laws. The problem is that my new place is in Rogers Park, Touhy and Ridge. I am willing to bet that that part of Cook County doesn't have these same home defense laws.

Also I noticed some of you are in the CC class. How do you sign up?

Well I am relieved that I live in Lake County and it seems that lake county has good home defense laws. The problem is that my new place is in Rogers Park, Touhy and Ridge. I am willing to bet that that part of Cook County doesn't have these same home defense laws.
The ones that I posted are Illinois state laws so it shouldn't matter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mtrcyclefish

Tbonekilla, you need to read that statute a little closer. It says "forceable" felony. There is a world of difference between a felony and a forceable felony.

gmguy496

Sec. 2-8. "Forcible felony". "Forcible felony" means treason, first degree murder, second degree murder, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, robbery, burglary, residential burglary, aggravated arson, arson, aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping, aggravated battery resulting in great bodily harm or permanent disability or disfigurement and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

this is according to IL so pretty much anything u would use ur gun to stop is covered

capysolo

Tbonekilla, you need to read that statute a little closer. It says "forceable" felony. There is a world of difference between a felony and a forceable felony.
Read closely. The "forcible felony" part is only used in section 7-1: use of force in defense of a person. In 7-2 : use of force in defense of a dwelling it just says felony.

No matter what, its still great info to have!

I noticed in the previous post that many of you here have guns or collect guns. I only have one small 22 caliber rifle. I am moving out soon and would like to purchase a handgun before I do. I was planning on going to a gun show to get a cheaper gone. Do any of you guys know the best way to get one and where I can find gun shows. Are there any other alternatives to going to a gun show besides going and paying a lot of money for a new gun at the store. Also what kind of handgun would you recommend as a first gun. I do have my foid card of course. Thank you for your help.
Estate sales are your friend , have a lawyer that usually checks things out b4 the sales and every now and then we buy the gun collection b4 the sale ever gets organized . let me know if you have anything specific in mind or collector pieces . have some nice Perozzi ,Colt,Ruger,& Glocks that may interest you .also check out Hintz Auction service have seen some nice deals at the new lenox facility

roilciuc

No way Bob, yeah I'd like to see some if you would be willing to. I'll try to go this Sunday to a gun show if time permits and I'll have a better idea of what I am looking for. If not I'd like to just go by some reviews and what feels like it fits well in my hand.

FiReBReTHa

Sweet! Are they eliminating FOID cards to purchase, or are those still required?
FOID allows you to have firearms and ammo in IL
CCL allows you to carry those firearms on you concealed so both must be maintained.

Eventually due to the FCA the FOID may be integrated into your drivers license as an endorsement similar to a motorcycle rating.

Joe Lydon

Ahh, I wasn't sure if they were just adding CCL to IL, or revamping the whole system. In Indiana, I can walk into a store and by an unlicensed handgun with my driver's license. Weird, there's no mass murdering going on here, either...

bryman

Congrats Rick! Did you ever receive any updates from the ILSP or did it just show up? Did you submit prints? I didn't feel like paying $60 more to get it early.

FiReBReTHa

Congrats Rick! Did you ever receive any updates from the ILSP or did it just show up? Did you submit prints? I didn't feel like paying $60 more to get it early.
All instructors had to do prints so no way I could save $$ there. They also manually modified our profiles so the alerts were definitely not in place for us :-( so I was manually checking the website 14 times a day ;-) I am still "under review" when the I'd just showed up

jm23

Sec. 2-8. "Forcible felony". "Forcible felony" means treason, first degree murder, second degree murder, predatory criminal sexual assault of a child, aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, robbery, burglary, residential burglary, aggravated arson, arson, aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping, aggravated battery resulting in great bodily harm or permanent disability or disfigurement and any other felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any individual.

this is according to IL so pretty much anything u would use ur gun to stop is covered
We are taught in law enforcement that you should only shoot in defense of life. While per ILCS we might be legally allowed to use deadly force in these above scenarios, you will have a hard time justifying killing someone committing a burglary (now a home invasion is different) and a few of the others. If you batter a police officer technically that is a forcible felony, but just because a criminal punches a police officer doesn't give that officer the right to kill him. Keep it simple: Defense of life only, including when you are in your house. Regardless if you are justified or not, get ready to be sued by the family or survivor. Sometimes it is better to be a good witness to a crime then to try and prevent it. Just my .02 cents

Knuckles

We are taught in law enforcement that you should only shoot in defense of life. While per ILCS we might be legally allowed to use deadly force in these above scenarios, you will have a hard time justifying killing someone committing a burglary (now a home invasion is different) and a few of the others. If you batter a police officer technically that is a forcible felony, but just because a criminal punches a police officer doesn't give that officer the right to kill him. Keep it simple: Defense of life only, including when you are in your house. Regardless if you are justified or not, get ready to be sued by the family or survivor. Sometimes it is better to be a good witness to a crime then to try and prevent it. Just my .02 cents
+1

Milhouse

Premium member
+2