Spartanman22's Fluval M90

Spartanman22

I think my house just has a high CO2 content. SPS growth rate is good and coloration is great, so I’m not too concerned. But since everything else has been locked in I’m wanting to start focusing on pH. I’m going to try and run the scrubber intake to the outdoors and see if that helps a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spartanman22

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve updated. Not much has changed, but things continue to rock and roll. I’ve had about three pieces, that I have had for nearly two years, that refused to grow: Tyree Blue Matrix, Tyree Pink Lemonade, and TCK Pikachu. This past month the blue matrix threw out two 1” branches and the pink lemonade has about a 1/4” growth. TCK pikachu still continues to be content as a 1” frag.

Funlad3

It’s been a hot minute since I’ve updated. Not much has changed, but things continue to rock and roll. I’ve had about three pieces, that I have had for nearly two years, that refused to grow: Tyree Blue Matrix, Tyree Pink Lemonade, and TCK Pikachu. This past month the blue matrix threw out two 1” branches and the pink lemonade has about a 1/4” growth. TCK pikachu still continues to be content as a 1” frag.
The tank is looking awesome, as always. I love how your colonies just keep on rocking along and filling out space. :)

Spartanman22

The tank looks great. What lighting are you using?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Right now using a 4 bulb ATI dimmable sunpower. Picked up a 36” ATI Powermodule a couple months ago but have been traveling so much I haven’t had the time to set it up yet.

tinman

looking at tanks like this is what makes me get back into sps full pledged :) i miss them :(

Spartanman22

Was browsing through my phone and realized I had a good history of full tank shots. So, I figured I do a bit of a time lapse. It’s crazy to see how ugly it was early on and then it’s like a light switch goes on and it takes off.

October 9th, 2017

February 8th, 2018

February 27, 2018

April 9th, 2018

August 12th 2018

September 13th, 2018

October 8th, 2018

November 4th, 2018

November 28th, 2018

January 1st, 2019

February 14th, 2019

February 20th, 2019

April 23rd, 2019

xmoji

Eat, Sleep, Reef

Beautiful tank

Spartanman22

Been a minute. Tank has seen better days since last updates. End of April the tank was at its peak. Since then I took the rabbit fish, flameback angel, and fairy Wrasse out. All for various reasons. As a result my nitrates plummeted. They were already low as is and I was dosing nitrates to keep about 2.0-3.0 ppm.

As a countermeasure I added several small fish. Naturally that shot my nitrates way up to the 30-50 ppm range. The swing caused a nasty algae outbreak I’m still fighting.

To throw fuel on the fire, I made a rookie mistake and didn’t notice my Aquaforest dosing containers were empty. Went about two days of zero dosing when previously I was dosing 4.5 mL 24 times a day of all three solutions. To make matters worse the component bundle is out of stock everywhere. Found some BRS alk, and had enough of the +1 and +3 of the AF to last me a bit longer. My alk swung like crazy and the BRS stuff doesn’t match the AF stuff so it’s been a process dialing that in. Calcium and Magnesium got high (450, 1400).

All in all only lost one acro, but my montis are taking a beating. Looks like I’ve lost a Jedi mind trick, ASD Bubble Gum colony, and WWC Grafted Cap. Hopefully they recover but they looked pissed off right now. It doesn’t help that all this happened right before a two week vacation .

I’ve got three fish caught and ready to drop off at the LFS. Hopefully that brings the nitrates down. They were 25-30 ppm today. Also hope I’ve got the dosing at least in the ball park now. Before I left last week alk was at 8.3, which I was fine with. But today when I got back from week 1 of vacation it was 5.7. So the actors must have soaked up a lot last week and I had the doser set to low. Making some adjustments before I have to leave again tomorrow for another week. Boy do I wish I could have gotten my hands on a Trident.

Morale of the story, the tank was rocking and rolling and looking great, and I got lazy and careless. Always lessons to be learned.

Funlad3

I love that the acros have totally obscured the rock in the top-down shots. I'll get back to that point, eventually. :)