ChicagoReefs.com Official Winter 2011-2012 Paly Grow-Out Contest

jcarlilesiu

Would it be against the rules for people to pull their polyp out dry it off a bit and put some additional glue around the base.

Palys are hard to glue when they start sliming. They should start grabbing on themselves shortly.

FishBeard

Would it be against the rules for people to pull their polyp out dry it off a bit and put some additional glue around the base.

Palys are hard to glue when they start sliming. They should start grabbing on themselves shortly.
Absolutely fair to do this, the only rule is the palys need to remain on the frag plug thru the contest. These particular specked greens seem more resistant to super glue than most... I surprised they hadn't grafted themselves to the plugs by the time they were picked up. I'm sure that this many people aren't being too rough handling them or placing them right in front of MP60's!

1990JPYP

Ive had no issues with mine staying glued on. The paly has grown over most of the glue now. No babys yet.

Do we have an idea of when we are going to have to post an updated picture?

Thanks

FishBeard

Updates are required the first week of each month, so in about 2 weeks you need to post an update pic and any additional info you want to share (or brag about...)

HecticZ

Ok the bulbs on my stock 12g ex hood went out, and I am going to be using a viper 150w metal halid. With an old Phoenix 14k bulb, bulb is probably 14 months old. Not sure if I am keeping this set up or no its. If I am I will be replacing the bulb with a new one in 2 weeks, just didn't want to go that intense right away.

But the paly is not open just needs to acclimate, might take a day or two.

m.miller1547

mine hasn't been doing much Ive only seen it open 2 times since my last post. :(
Wow;,can u grow coraline! I have three heads. One large and two medium sized. It's matting to the plug and more nodes are clearly noticable as well. Seems to be doing great.

Btw I switched to a 6 bulb 20" Current fixture. I thinks a nova extreme or something. I don't like the color but eh.

EricTheRed

No, I'm not a communist..
I'll start with a brief tank write-up and add my 1st pic soon.

90G mixed reef w/ an 8-bulb Nova Extreme T5 fixture.
2x JBJ 1600gph powerheads
1200gph return pump.
The tank used to be a fowlr so the sump is actually a modified 20G wet/dry that I managed to squeeze an ASM G1X skimmer into with a little extra room for a heater and 2 maxijets that run biopellet and gfo/gac reactors (no refugium).
I have ~ 150lbs of rock and a shallow sandbed.
I feed live phyto 2x week, Ocean's Blend Coral Vibrance 1x week and target feed the LPS w/ PE Mysis 1x week. (Fishes are fed 2x day; pellets and mysis & nori)

Fishes:
Coral Beauty, Sailfin Tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Coris, Male & female Tongan Lyretail, Anthias, Mocha Clown

Coral:
25 SPS, 11 LPS, 15 Softies + 8 varieties of zoas

Inverts:
2 Maxima Clams, various shrimp, snails and hermits

Supplements/Additives:
I dose kalk in my top-off water and supplement with homemade Mg as needed. Occasionally I'll dose Reef Trace and Reef Plus by SeaChem if I'm behind on water changes. (I average a 20% WC every 3 weeks)
Okay, here's my placement pic (sorry, kept forgetting to do this)! I have it about half way up, but shaded under an acro. I am also the proud father of a new paly. :dance3: You can see the mouth in the 2nd pic. There also appears to be a few more bumps but I'll reserve my enthusiasm until I see mouths...

JVC

REMINDER: Monthly Update Pic Must Be Added By The End Of The Week

Moved my paly to my new frag rack. It's been open everyday but doesn't seem to have any new mouths. I'm just glad to still have it around and it seems to be doing well. No real target feeding.

DanSreef

Premium member
So here is my tank description and a picture of my frag.

First before I give the tank description.... As you will see, I have a hair algae problem that I am working on. I lost two fish recently that the crabs pulled into the bowels of the tank....which I am sure has played havoc with an already annoying outbreak of hair algae. Nitrates and Phosphates dont register on test kits... So I recently purchased a Sea Hare and a very small Naso Tang that I hope will munch on the hair algae... I also have a long spine and a short spine urchin, all employed to eat as much HA as possible... We will see how things progress.

Tank decription:
72 Gal Bow Front mixed reef with a 4-bulb Aquatic Life HO T5 fixture.
2x JBJ 1600gph powerheads, 1 1400 and 1 Nano Koralia.
The tank has some SPS, SPS and Softies. I am running Bio Pellets and GFO in 2 TLF reactors and am running a Reef Octopus skimmer.
I have ~ 150lbs of rock and a shallow sandbed.
I feed live phyto 1x week and target feed the LPS w/ PE Mysis 1x week. Fish are fed once per day either nori or Mysis.
Fishes:
Flame Angel, Copper Band Butterfly (recently departed), Algae Blenny, small Sail Fin and very small Naso Tangs, Choris Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse and a Neon Goby who thinks he too is a cleaner wrasse.
Supplements/Additives:
I dose kalk in my top-off water. I average 20% water change every two weeks.

Now for a picture of the frag... I still have only one head... though it looks like I have 3-4 buds looking to make an appearance. We will see. It is placed about mid tank next to a neon ORA birdsnest that has taken off....and a frag of Orange Cap Monti.

Catran

I'm having problems with mine. It was barely hanging on, and eventually became unglued. Luckily, I found it and re-glued it to the same plug. Here's a pic... Again, it's coming off the plug. It just won't glue well... I never had a polyp do this. It's a bad pic because I had to get it out of the higher flow to a better place. Not open yet today, lights haven't been on too long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigKev23

Here's my paly... got two little babies, but can't get a good pic since the main paly is so big.

Catran

I'm having problems with mine. It was barely hanging on, and eventually became unglued. Luckily, I found it and re-glued it to the same plug. Here's a pic... Again, it's coming off the plug. It just won't glue well... I never had a polyp do this. It's a bad pic because I had to get it out of the higher flow to a better place. Not open yet today, lights haven't been on too long.

Lost mine off the plug later that night. I hope it shows up soon!

FishBeard

Still need a few more updates by the end of the night tomorrow to remain in the competition, only 9 members have updated for January....